I can't make it work :(
When I select this shader, material just becomes invisible
Tried with both 2021.3.18 and 2020.3.44 engine versions
How do I fix it? :(
Dark Comic Master Shader
A downloadable shader
A general use shader for Unity's Universal Render Pipeline, for creating games with a dark comic book aesthetic. Inspired by games like The Wolf Among Us, Darkest Dungeon, and Curse of the Dead Gods.
Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 - (TL:DR; you can use it however you want, including for commercial projects, but you must credit me if you do)
- Universal Render Pipeline
- Shader Graph Markdown is required for the material editor to look correct, but the shader will still work without it.
- Does not support Screen Space Shadows.
- Doesn't play nice with baked lighting - it makes some of the effects necessary to pull off the lighting tricks really hard.
- Does however support a single baked directional light in shadowmask mode. All other lights need to be realtime.
- Blend Modes:
- All the usual suspects - opaque, alpha cutoff, transparent
- Transparent preserves specular, for making windows
- Refraction support!
- Sharpened line art mask
- Stays sharp at a distance, without aliasing
- Paint masking
- Mask Channel B controls where paint colors are applied, making model recoloring easy.
- Separate lighting controls for:
- Textured lighting
- Single channel, or multi-channel crosshatching
- Multiple lighting texture mapping modes:
- View Direction
- World Space
- Object Space
- Controls for fine-tuning most aspects of lighting
- Stylized reflections
- Crank up the strength edge-on views for edge highlights
- View aligned rim light
- Makes light wrap around object edges when facing the light, creating a rim lit effect
Creating Lighting Textures:
There are a few important settings that you should set up on your textures used for lighting (see the example textures download).
- sRGB Disabled
- Compression: None
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- Optimization UpdateMay 21, 2022
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
I can't make it work :(
I fear this asset has been abandoned, which is a shame :(
I really wanted it to work on HDRP.
I think I discovered it was a shader "baked" with the use of "Better Shaders" by Jason Booth from the Asset Store, but since we don't have the source files for it, there's no way to export it for different pipelines...
Hi there! Since it's been made with Better Shaders, is there any chance you could export it for HDRP?
Wow, this looks absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this!
EDIT: nevermind, everything works as intended!
Unfortunately there seems to be a shader error (tried it in both URP2020 & 2021 in fresh 2020 & 2021 projects):
Shader error in 'Andicraft/Dark Comic Master': Couldn't open include file 'Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/ShaderLibrary/DBuffer.hlsl'. at line 2140
Shader error in 'Dark Comic Master (Transparent)': Couldn't open include file 'Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/ShaderLibrary/DBuffer.hlsl'. at line 223
Looks great! Shall have to check this out. :D
Oh my dog it looks so gorgeous OwO